Monday, September 08, 2008

Love and Ego

Just a few days ago, having recently returned from a 2 week trip to Europe with her boyfriend, My friend called to tell me about her adventures and share some of what she experienced while in Amsterdam and Paris. It would be the first time they'd spend this much time together, 24/7, since they first began their relationship a year ago. (And I don't suppose I have to tell you what the French think about us anyway!)


During the time she was talking to me, I could hear and feel her angst over what had transpired and her disappointment in her trip being ruined by this man. I also knew that it would likely take months before she actually did break up with him, as this is her usual modus operandi.


I know her, I love her and I am not the kind of friend who tells others what they 'should' do. I then asked if she knew why this was causing her to be so upset. And then...she laughed out loud, a big giant belly-laugh, and said, "I guess it's my ego talking." I couldn't help but laugh right along with her. It happens all the time and it never ceases to amaze me that most people don't even know what it's about. But, and this is a big 'but', one must first realize that it's ego talking, not our true self.


I happen to think that we all get to create our lives, and we do, even if we don't know it. We create our lives by the things we think, the thoughts we focus on and the passion we expend on those thoughts. This, I know, is my truth. And when it comes time to look at something we don't actually want in our lives, it's up to us to take a step back and rethink our focus. Are you going to attempt to change it in it's hardened form or are you going to start all over and cast a new one? I also know she'll see, soon enough, that all of this is for good purpose and she's a better person for it. The moment she sees this about herself is the moment she will get to live the fairy tale she so wants to live. I know.

Love and Peace

Hari

No comments: